GloucesterTimes.com, Gloucester, MA

December 10, 2011

Letter: An 'Uplifting' project for Cape Ann's children

To the editor:

So here we are: We've had the Santa parade; the Kent Circle Christmas tree is officially lit for the season.

It's now time to hustle and start gathering those special gifts for family and friends.

The U.S. Marine Corps' Toys for Tots is in full swing thanks to the Gloucester AMVETS and its corps of many helpers.

Action Inc.'s Project Uplift is also going into gear to try and make this Christmas for those in need. I urge the many new businesses to help in anyway they can to bring the best for the children of Cape Ann.

The official collection center is now at 186 Main St. It is nicely decorated and I urge the readers to bring a new gift for the children of Cape Ann. If you want to make a donation please call 1-978-283-7874

I am given to understand that there are more than 80 drop-off boxes for both between the organizations in churches, public housing, banks, stores.

I would urge those wanting to help that, if you go out and shop for a child in your family, try to equal that gift to the children who will be gifted through Project Uplift.

The city of Gloucester's youth programs have raised a lot of money to help with their sports programs, as well as the drive in rebuilding Newell Stadium.

State Sen. Bruce Tarr will also be going out to collect toys. Let's try to make this his best year ever.

Merry Christmas to all, and Happy New Year.

PETER A. TODD

Elm Street, Gloucester

Have a Great Christmas Season

Huck Finn  

Remmber Shop Gloucester

Poetry is written from the Heart by Visions of the Soul